Phases of Capacity Training
Phases of Capacity Training
1. Commit to annual participation in Capacity Training
2. Identify and select PBS team members
3. Choose dates and the best delivery model of training
4. Select 1 focus individual per PBS team member
5. Invite others to the training who provide direct support to the individual
Schedule and Delivery Model Options:
3 consecutive days of training; or
1 day a week for three consecutive weeks.
- Phase One PBS Capacity Training
- Phase One Expected Outcomes
- Capacity Training Curriculum for PBS Members
Phase One is 21 hours (three full days) of training in Positive Behaviour Support with the service provider’s PBS Team and invited team members. During and following the formal training, service providers who are formally engaged in capacity building have access to a qualified CBI Behaviour Consultant who takes on the role of a mentor for the PBS Team members, as well PBS team members have access to CBI’s Learning Management System where they can access the 21 hours of training.
The 3 day training covers the following topics:
- The Lifestyle Development Process & Personal Profile
- Completing a Functional Behaviour Assessment (FBA)
- Identifying Setting Event Support Strategies
- Identifying Antecedent Support Strategies
- Functional Communication Training
- Identifying & Teaching Coping Replacement Behaviours
- Identifying Consequence Strategies
Concluding Phase One Training, ongoing meetings between the service provider PBS team and the qualified CBI consultant take place.
Outcomes of Completing Phase One:
- Completed Personal Profile(s)
- Completed Functional Behaviour Assessment(s)
- Completed Behaviour Support Plan(s)
Training is best provided to teams supporting an individual. Each focus individual chosen ideally has a team of staff from the service provider working together to complete the functional behaviour assessment and develop a behavior support plan. Teams for training would be a senior team leader who would be part of an identified PBS team, as well as key workers or caregivers who work directly with the focus person.
For a detailed day by day breakdown of the curriculum please download our capacity training brochure: Download Brochure
For the detailed breakdown of the online training portion of the curriculum, please click on the button to the right.
Phase Two is optional depending on the needs of the service provider and is a highly individualized.
Upon completion of Phase One training, your qualified CBI Behaviour Consultant will meet with the PBS Team to determine how best to deliver Phase Two Training, an agency-wide introductory training in Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) and foundational PBS Behaviour Support Plan Strategies. This training is also meant to support direct care providers who are skeptical or reluctant about PBS and FBA to gain insight about the benefits of looking at behaviour from a communication perspective and the benefits of implementing the three strategies listed on the next tab.
The service provider PBS Team, with the mentorship of the CBI consultant, can provide training in:
- Positive Behaviour Support (3 hours of training time)
- Understanding personal profile, function(s) of behaviour, competing pathways and behaviour support plan
- Behaviour Support Strategies (3 hours of training time)
- Lifestyle Development
- Increased choice making
- Interaction style